Watermelon Slim, Joe Pernice, Al Green, Fruit Bats, Miles Davis & Modest Mouse

Welcome my friends to the show that never ends. I got to thinking this morning that New Album Releases is like the 1 in a 1-2 punch with the iTunes Chart Watch. The N.A.R. column is where I tell you what to buy (or what not to buy) and the iTunes Chart Watch is the scorecard wherein you, the music purchasing public, reveal what you did buy. It's all like Festivus. We have our airing of grievances and list all the ways we've disappointed one another. I pour my soul out to you, begging you to buy good music and you disappoint me by buying something else. That I can do this week in and week out is like my own personal feat of strength. I'm putting up a Festivus pole in my office. I'll leave it up year round and think of you all often.

Watermelon Slim
Escape From The Chicken Coop
Told you about this one, I did, but let's talk about it again. Watermelon Slim is one of the most decorated bluesman of the 21st Century. It turns out he's also a decorated Vietnam War veteran, a member of MENSA, and those are just a couple of the more interesting biographical tidbits of the life of Bill Homans.

On Escape From The Chicken Coop, Slim is infusing his blues with a little bit more of a country sound. Coop was recorded in Nashville and produced by Delbert McClinton collaborator Gary Nicholson. The best songs on the record tend to be when he stays closer to his blues roots, but this is another solid effort from an American original.

Joe Pernice
It Feels So Good When I Stop

Joe Pernice occupies a special place in my heart and will for all time. I started a music section in our campus newspaper and a contact at Sub Pop records sent me three or four records for my consideration. One was Heather Duby's Post to Wire (which I love). Another was from a band called Chappaquiddick Skyline. In the press material, I learned CS was the brainchild of Scud Mountain Boy and Pernice Brother Joe Pernice. I didn't know either of those bands at the time, but I made a note to myself to give the disc a listen.

One rainy night while driving to meet up with TheGirlfriend (who is now TheWifeToWhomI'mMarried), I slid the disc into my stereo and the first words of the disc set in motion a relationship that has now lasted for more than 10 years: "I hate my life." I continued listening to that disc and over the years have collected every Scud Mtn. and Pernice Brothers record. I even imported Joe's 'solo' record Big Tobacco before it was domestically available, which brings us to his new 'solo' record, It Feels So Good When I Stop.